Thursday, April 18, 2013

Zee Alps!

I went to the Alps in February, and it was incredible. Backstory: I was talking to some friends in studio earlier in the semester, and said that I really wanted to go to the Alps, but didn't know any other skiers/boarders. My friend Julie was like, "I go for three weeks every winter, come visit me!" And I was like, "Um. I'll book my train now." So, after my first week of work, I packed up my bags and headed to St. Gervais-les-Bains, which is located southeast of Geneva (but is in France). For the ski buffs out there: it is very close to Chamonix/Mont Blanc. 

I haven't had the opportunity to ski in the mountains (Lutsen I love you, but we both know you don't count!) since I was studying abroad in Montpellier four years ago. Then, I went to Pelvoux-Vallouise, and it was great, but a little small for what I was expecting from the Alps. This time, I went to Megève and Les Contamines Montjoie, and OMG it was amazing. I was a tad rusty, but I was on cloud nine the entire time.


We spent our first day in Megève, and the weather was perfect. Julie said we were really lucky because the two weeks that she had been there prior were mostly cloudy. 

I don't think I could ever get sick of views like this.

Julie and me! We had a mid-day snow storm, but it cleared up pretty quickly. I borrowed all my gear from Julie's family, which was great being that the only ski-appropriate clothing I brought with me were ski socks. 

I snapped this picture while on a pomalift (the French love their pomas). I love how the late afternoon sun is hitting the treetops.

St. Gervais-les-Bains is in fact, know for its bains (baths).  I love a little post-ski hot tub sesh, so I was all about checking out the baths. There were several saunas, mineral baths, and an outdoor pool with water sourced from the local hot springs. It was not as lively as the apres-ski found at the Shoshone/Huntley Lodge in Big Sky, but sometimes a little peaceful relaxation is just what you need. ;)

PS Big Sky, I'm coming for you next winter. 

 I woke up to this the next morning. Could not get to Les Contamines fast enough.

 Another bit of luck: normally Mont Blanc is hidden amongst the clouds, but you see the little mountaintop poking out slightly in the middle and off to the right? There she is!

 Endless Mountains.

 
























 We stopped at "Gaston's House" for a little hot chocolate moment, something that is a necessity for me when I ski. Or when it's winter. Or when it's just another day. I love a good hot chocolate, and Gaston's knows what's up. And yes, I made sure we went to Chez Gaston so I could take a picture - no Beauty and the Beast reference can get past this girl! Even if it's not a reference, let's just pretend because it's more fun that way and I know some (all) of my friends will be into it, too. It's why we're friends.


All in all, I would suggest Les Contamines over Megève. It was slightly more challenging - longer runs, steeper terrain, and plenty of opportunity for tree skiing. I avoided the trees since I was sans helmet, but it looked really fun. 

There are several ski areas in close proximity to each other here, so why not check out a few if you are visiting? It was so nice to get out and ski, something I used to do all winter long. I've really been missing it, and I can't wait for my next ski trip.

But a little warm weather first wouldn't hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment