Tuesday, September 11, 2012

PRAHA

I went to Prague a couple weeks ago with some friends for a long weekend. As a city that has long been on my travel list, it was awesome to finally cross it off. The buildings, the culture, the food, the history - it is incredible. The weekend was full of lots of walking, eating, reunions!!, picture taking... and more walking (in an attempt to balance the eating part). Also, I have a mild infatuation with apple strudel, which is dangerous in a city literally bursting at the seams with these treats. Yes, I've been on a strudel detox ever since.

DISCLAIMER: My hair products were confiscated at security, so ignore the crazy amount of hair issues you are about to see. 


The Astronomical Clock

This is the astronomical clock, which is probably the biggest tourism letdown...ever. There's a little movement from the statues and in the above windows, and a "crow" from a rooster. Tourists (myself included) literally gather around this every hour, and then everyone looks confused at the end. It is that anticlimactic. They've even added a live trumpeter at the end, just to let everyone know that something happened. If you really want the full experience, click here.

FUN FACT: The lower "clock" has a boy's and girl's name for each day of the year. Back in the day, the Czech had to name their children the name assigned to that day. My question: what if you have twins? Jan 1 and Jan 2! (I made that up, I have no idea what actually happens...)

Wenceslas Square, which plays host to public gatherings, demonstrations, celebrations, etc. You can also experience another type of gathering in the evening hours, when ladies of the night and company come out for business (we missed this one... ).
A little rain won't stop this tourist! 
Well hello there!
This is what happens when churches run out of money... no statues :( 
St. Vitus Cathedral. The church started construction in the 1300s, and was completed in the late 1920s/early 1930s. SERIOUSLY. The oldest part is the apse (left side of picture), and its construction progressed accordingly.  Also, these are net vaults, and I'm into them. FYI.
A little Prague moment!
Jesse and I enjoying a beer brewed by monks at the Strahov Monastery. It was followed by an apple strudel, naturally.
Snippets of the past.
I'm a sucker for cute old men playing weird instruments on bridges in cheesy outfits, so I ate this up. AND THAT MONKEY. Can't handle it.
With Aubrey and Jesse on the Charles Bridge.

Touching the lady for good luck! (FYI the dog gives you bad luck, so don't do it.) And obviously it was really sunny out, so the sunglasses were 100% necessary.
The Vltava river.
My travel companions learned that I have a thing for benches. And now you know, too..

Mid-morning yoga in front of Frankie's Dancing House.
Cubist architecture -- I didn't know it existed either!
Cobblestone EVERYWHERE. 
Cemetery outside of the Church of St. Peter and Paul.
The sun finally peeked out behind the clouds as we reached the top of this lookout. Very nice!
We stumbled upon this gem of a children's carnival. The man on the left is giving a puppet show - puppets are everywhere here.. The man on the right is beating up the Communist. Why would he be doing that, you ask? Communism is in fact a huge part of Prague's (very recent) history. Click here for more information, if you're interested!
When I see things like this, I always wonder what used to be there and why it's gone now. A Tuesday evening thought for you!
I really wanted to join these kids, but the fact that I'm 24 years old stopped me. It would have been an Elf moment. Also, I'm obsessed with the church in the background, St. Nicolas. I have tons of pictures, but they did not make the final cut in my attempt to "slim" down this post. So, this picture kills two birds with one stone (fun Prague moment + church), which I always appreciate.
The Town Hall (the famed astronomical clock is around the corner on building's east-ish facade.)
My travel buddies - Aubrey, Julie, Jesse, and Julia!
My friend Rachael from high school is studying in Prague for the semester. She met up with us for dinner on both Saturday and Sunday night. Here we are at Klub Architektu, a restaurant recommended to us by a professor. You should go for the ambience alone - it gives off a cavernous feel as it's located in a basement with arched brick walls and dim, glowy (that's a technical term) lighting. The food is delicious and a bargain!
And here we are enjoying apple strudels (Me?! Never.) after a delicious meal! This restaurant, Malostranska Beseda, was recommended to us by our tour guide as an authentic Czech restaurant. Again, great prices and great food.
If you're curious about some of the food samplings of the weekend (and I know you are), here is a little visual treat:
Top row, from left: A long travel day calls for finger foods - wiener schnitzel (I couldn't get over the fact that these were like chicken fingers-Prague style. I still can't. And I want more.) and onion rings!; Gingerbread with little melted chocolate bits inside, a welcome surprise; Pilsner, which originated in Pilsen, a town about 40 miles west of Prague.
Bottom row, from left: Goulash with BACON DUMPLINGS; Veal Ribs with the meat falling of the bone; chocolate mousse cake
And finally, we decided to start a new trend among architects (or ourselves, whatever). So, people plank and they owl (definitely missed that boat!), and now they t-square! All credit goes to Julia for coming up with this new fad. You go girl!

Aubrey, Jesse, Julia, and Julie T-Square-ing on the Charles Bridge.
If you made it to the end, CONGRATULATIONS! I am actively going to try to avoid these long posts from now on, for your sanity, and mine.

Hope you're having a great week! Add "eat an apple strudel" to your to-do list this week if you've never had one (or if you have...). You will not be disappointed!

L

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, thank u, wonderful post, love u,mom. PS I have an awesome apple strudel recipe. :))) It's yours.

    ReplyDelete