Friday, September 28, 2012

Foodie Friday!

This week's foodie moment is brought to you by: Quiche Lorraine. Quiche is a savory pastry dish filled with a mixture of eggs, cream, meat, and/or vegetables. Quiche Lorraine originally contained eggs, cream, and lardons*. Now, cheese (usually gruyere) and onions are typically added as well.

*Sarcastic Cultural Difference Moment: Hormel is not sold here! Instead, they use lardons, which are essentially pieces of pork fat cut in thick cubes or strips (so, the same part of the pig as bacon, but just thicker and a different shape). If you were wondering: YES, they're better.

Are you a visual learner? Click here.





Quiche can be eaten at any time of the day, but I prefer it at breakfast. It is a great spin on my usual go-tos of eggs and toast or granola and yogurt.




I've always been a little intimidated by cooking my own quiche, as I've heard the texture can be a little touchy to get right. I tried it for the first time this summer for my friend's bridal shower, as we were looking for something both brunch-y and French. It was actually really easy. The feedback was good, so I think it went well unless they were just being polite... :)


Salivating.

In France, you can find quiche at any boulangerie (bakery). Stop in and get one! If you like, you can get them reheated, which I prefer. As always, they are best when they are fresh from the oven.


A variety of quiches. Chevre is next on my list if I can ever branch out from the Lorraine. I don't think salmon (saumon) will be happening anytime soon.

Have a great weekend!

xo L

1 comment: